Five restaurants in San Gabriel Valley and four restaurants in San Fernando Valley were closed in recent weeks thanks to major health concerns and hazards. All of the restaurants were closed between September 28 and October 4. In each case, the restaurants had their health permit suspended until the issue was fixed.
The report from the Los Angeles County Public Health Department states that each location must close their doors until they fix the issue and are inspected again to ensure integrity. These closures can occur during anything from an owner-initiated inspection to an investigation of complaints, to reinspections.
The department’s report doesn’t provide many details concerning infestations, such as how many cockroaches are found in the facility. The concerning thing is, a major health infraction only costs a restaurant four points off an inspection, so they can still receive an A even when they’re shut down.
The facilities closed due to pest control issues in San Gabriel Valley included Coffee Break, Tasty Garden, Hsi Lai Buddhist Temple, Starbucks, and Wok Express. All were closed due to cockroach infestations. Hsi Lai Buddhist Temple was also cited for a rodent infestation, which is given when there are more than 20 rodent droppings on a kitchen floor.
In San Fernando Valley, Los Cabos Restaurant was closed because they had no water, Olivia Trattoria had a rodent infestation, and Kebab House and Magic Restaurant had cockroach infestations.
Cockroaches alone can spread about 33 different types of bacteria, which is extremely concerning, given that some restaurants may still get an A on inspection despite an infestation. Many in the area are fighting to change this ruling, hoping that inspectors will dock more points or have another way to warn consumers about a health hazard.